On-page link checker tool.
Use the internal link analyzer tool to analyze the links search engine spiders can detect on a specific page of your website. Search engines, spider links to index and determine the structure of a website and the relation between pages. The link analyzer tool checks:
- The Total number of links found on your page.
- The number +percentage of external and Internal links.
- (links pointing to subdomains are counted as internal links)
- Anchor type (Text link / Image link / Mixed link).
- The link type (Internal link / external link / subdomain).
- The number +percentage of Duplicate links.
- The number of links with an empty anchor.
- The number of image links without an Alt tag.
- The number of no-followed links.
The internal link analyzer is able to recognize subdomains and treads them as internal links. If a link points to a subdomain this will be visible under link type “subdomain”. Watch the video from, Google’s web engineer, Matt Cutts regarding the use of subdomains.
Best practices internal links
- Number of links: Back in 2008, Matt Cutts (head of Google’s Webspam team) recommended limiting the number of links to a maximum of 100 links per page. Today (since 2013) Matt Cutts explained having more then 100 links per page isn’t an issue, and this limitation is dropped from Google Webmaster Guidelines.
- Duplicate links: Try to limit the number of duplicate links. If you get a high percentage of duplicate links (>50%) you’re not spreading your link strenght effectively.
Oli Gardner featured the Internal Link Checker as part of his presentation: at INBOUND
“a machine learning algorithm will analyze your unpublished page before it’s even seen any traffic.”
Oli Gardner — Co-founder Unbounce
- Advanced Search and Filter options
- Improved link classification when the input URL is a subdomain.
- Improved http and https support.
- CSV export option
Internal link report filter options.
You can now use the filter function to sort link types and search for specific URLs or link text using the input fields.
Here are some of the available filter operators:
- Find a range of values between
- Wildcard for a single, non-space character.
- Wildcard for zero or more non-space characters.
- Goolge Webmaster Central (GWC) – Webmaster Guidelines: https://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769
- Matt Cutts video explanation on this topic – How many links on a page should we have? Is there a limit?
Matt Cutts blog post on internal links: https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-many-links-per-page/