Free Keyword difficulty checker.
The Google keyword planner is a starting point for many, when performing keyword research. The downside of this approach? Well the Google keyword tool is designed for Google Ads. That being said, you can get some interesting SEO metrics, including search volume, keyword trends, suggested keywords and in some cases CPC to get a better understanding of the potential keyword conversion rate. This information is all very helpful, but the key metrics that is missing for a thorough SEO analysis is keyword difficulty.
What is keyword difficulty?
Keyword difficulty is a SEO metric designed to help you understand how difficult it is to rank for a specific keyword. Multiple factors including organic search competition, backlinks and domain authority are analysed to calculate the keyword difficulty score for a particular search query. Based on this score you have a pretty strong indication of what it takes to compete with the websites currently ranking on the first page of Google.
How to use the difficulty checker?
- Enter 1 or multiple keywords (up to 10 keywords).
- Hit the “Perform Check” button.
- The tool returns the keyword difficulty score on a 0 – 100 scale,
[The closer to a 100 the harder it is to rank for the keyword].
- After analyzing the keyword difficulty score you can export the results to excel for further analysis.
How use keyword difficulty for SEO?
After collecting the keyword difficulty score for a keyword, you need to determine if your website is able to compete with the current top 10 search results.
A step-by-step approach to put the keyword difficulty score into perspective: 1). Select you’re best performing (non branded) keywords that drive most traffic to your website 2). Run these keywords trough the tool and collect the keyword difficulty scores 3). Compare these scores to those from your research. This data provides you with a good indication of the keyword difficulty scores that are in range for your website. (Make sure the comparison is based on topically related keywords).
New / low authority website
If you have a new website, it is advised to target low difficulty score keywords or long-tail keywords. These keywords generally have less search competition and also a lower search volumes.
High authority website
If you’re performing keyword research for an established website that is already ranking for competitive keywords, you’re chances increase to successfully target related keywords.
Keyword difficulty index
- Above 80%, Difficulty = Hard
- From 60% – 80%, Difficulty = Medium
- Below 60%, Difficulty = Easy
Currently the Keyword difficulty checker supports 18 different languages. Is your preferred language missing from the list? Please submit a request to include yours, by using the comment form below.
Related SEO Tools
- Keyword Research Tool, provides you with keyword suggestions, search volume and many more SEO metrics all at once.
- Keyword rank checker, to see how well your website ranks for a particular keyword.
- Keyword search Volume checker, helps you to get access to monthly search volumes with just a couple clicks.
- SEO content Editor, is designed to assist you while writing a great piece of content
Tag: Keyword Tools